Plaid is as classic and timeless as it comes, so investing in some plaid pieces this season is an absolute must! Whether you prefer to make a bold statement such as a vibrant green coat and windowpane trousers or a subtle approach like a scarf or wallet, plaid will perpetually be in style.
While plaid has been around forever, you can give it a more modern and youthful feel by mixing it with other prints. Don’t be afraid to switch it up with some stripes or leopard print. A striped top and a plaid blanket scarf is one of my favorite combos. Or try distressed jeans with plaid details and pair them with leopard heels or a leopard bag. My one rule of thumb is not to overdo it: Two prints at one time is sufficient enough. Otherwise, the prints will wear you, and that’s never a good look.
Lucky for you, Splender is currently offering double cash back at its 800+ stores through January 31, so now is the time to scoop up all those items you’ve had your eye on the past few months. Because it’s too cold to do anything else, you may as well curl up on the couch in your coziest (plaid) sweater and slippers, grab a glass of wine and get shopping!
- MZ Wallace Tote: This quilted plaid tote is the ideal everyday bag. It’s stylish and functional, so you’ll get a ton of mileage out of it. It can also be used as a gym bag or laptop bag, and because it folds flat, it’s perfect for traveling. I especially love that it’s water and stain resistant, because as a mom of four, I need a bag that is almost indestructible! You can get this tote at com with 3% cash back when you shop via Splender.
- UGG Earmuffs: How cute are these buffalo plaid earmuffs? I don’t know about you, but in this harsh winter weather, my ears are always cold. These would look great with your favorite black puffer coat once the temps take a major dip. Get them now at UGG Australia with 9% cash back.
- Plaid Mini Skirt: This zip-front check skirt would pair perfectly with black over-the-knee-boots and a cozy cashmere turtleneck. Or, for an evening out, style it with black opaque tights, booties and a silk blouse. You can find it at Lord & Taylor with 10% cashback via Splender.
- Trina Turk Coat: Not only is this coat fashionable and chic, the wool blend makes it super cozy for cold winter days. Simply throw it over a sweater and jeans or wear it over your go-to LBD and heels – you can wear it day or night. It’s sure to be on major rotation all winter. This gorgeous coat is also available at Lord & Taylor with 10% cashback.
- Reversible Scarf: With this reversible plaid scarf by Michael Stars, it’s like you get two for one. You can mix it up day-to-day by switching from one plaid style to another. Pair it with your favorite white tee and jeans, wrap it around yourself as a cozy shawl or belt it to give it a more polished look. It’s now available at Nordstrom.com with 3% cash back via Splender.
- Tory Burch Wallet: This plaid woven leather wallet can easily double as a clutch when you don’t feel like carrying a purse. It has pockets for all your essentials and the woven pattern mimics the look of tartan. Grab it at Tory Burch with 6% cash back when you shop through Splender.
- Plaid Distressed Skinny Jeans: I had my eye on a similar pair of plaid jeans from Rag and Bone last year, so I was thrilled when I spotted these at a fraction of the price! The touch of peek-a-boo plaid is sure to get you compliments wherever you go. These jeans are perfect for winter, whether you pair them with booties or heels. Buy them at JC Penney with 12% cash back on Splender.
- Cuffed Slim Ankle Pants: The sleek, classic lines of these trousers make it the perfect outfit for work or date night. Try them on with a blouse and blazer or even with a fitted moto jacket. They look great with ankle boots, flats or pointed toe heels. Get them now at Tommy Hilfiger with 10% cash back for Splender members.
- Plaid D’Orsay Pumps: I’ve been coveting these plaid pumps for quite some time, and Splender’s double cash back period is the perfect time to get them. They would be ideal for breaking up an all black ensemble or pairing with your favorite skinny jeans and a loose blouse. Because they are classic with a twist, they would also pair well with a simple black dress. They’re available now at Sole Society with 10% cash back.
- LeSportsac Weekender Bag: I cannot say enough good things about LeSportsac bags – they’re made of a very durable ripstop nylon and are water and stain resistant. Because this bag has many different compartments, it keeps you well organized and never digging at the bottom of your bag for stuff. I have several LeSportsac bags that I use for travel, the gym and even to take the kids to the beach or pool. It’s definitely a worthwhile investment. Buy it today on shopbop with 6% cash back when you shop via Splender.
No matter your style, you can always infuse a little (or a lot) of plaid into your wardrobe. Contrary to popular belief, plaid isn’t just for preps anymore. The different styles and colors make it so anyone can rock plaid. You can mix it up with different prints or use it to break up a monochromatic look. Most importantly, have fun with it because that’s what fashion is all about!
Ready to shop plaid fashion for the winter? Sign up for Splender today and enjoy double cash back through the end of January.
Kate Dunphy is the author of Taffeta & Tulips (http://taffetaandtulips.com/), a lifestyle and fashion blog created to inspire and elevate the every day through timeless and approachable fashion choices, healthy and easy recipes, and creative and simple ways to improve your living space.