I could write a book about easy and effortless road trip style, considering the fact that I travel 15 hours by car twice a year to visit my family’s favorite vacation spot on Hilton Head Island, S.C. When I create my road trip look, I always aim to combine function, comfort and style. So, loose, flattering layers, no-fuss shoes and a versatile, roomy bag are at the top of my list. I also choose pieces that I can seamlessly mix and match with the items I’m bringing so I can create new looks at my destination without over-packing. And since fall is right around the corner, these pieces will get a ton of mileage due to their neutral, multi-seasonal ease.
Don’t forget, as a Splender member, you’ll receive cash back on each purchase, so you’ll definitely want to scoop up these road trip style essentials for your next adventure!
- Denim Jacket: A classic denim jacket is an ideal year-round layering piece, whether you’re traveling or just running around town. It’s perfect for throwing over your favorite tee, dress or romper. Plus, it can easily transition to fall by simply adding a scarf or sweater. I love the wash and fit of this version from J.Crew, where you’ll receive 9% cash back.
- LeSportsac Duffle Bag: I own several LeSportsac bags, which I highly recommend – particularly for traveling. They’re light, durable and easily fold down so you can pack them flat in your suitcase. What’s great about this weekender version is that it can double as a roomy beach bag once you reach your destination! I love all the compartments so I’m not constantly digging around in search of my things. And did I mention they’re machine-washable too? This one is available at Lord & Taylor with 8% cash back.
- Flowy Tank: I have been living in flowy tanks all summer! So easy and chic, and it pairs perfectly with jeans, shorts or, in this case, these comfy and cool relaxed cargos. Whether worn alone or styled with a light jacket or blazer, a loose, billowy tank is an ideal wardrobe (and weekend road trip) staple. This version is available at Bluefly with 8% cash back.
- Relaxed Cargo Pants: The last thing you want to wear for a long car trip is stiff, tight jeans. But, you also want to look pulled together for all those roadside photos you plan on taking along the way! That’s why I’m seriously coveting these stylish yet practical cargo pants. I love the elasticized waist and the tapered leg and the neutral color will pair easily with any tank or tee. This version is available at boohoo.com with 4% cash back.
- Baseball Cap: I don’t know about you, but the last thing I want to think about when I’m traveling is my hair. That’s why I always pack several hats to help combat those not so great hair days when I don’t take the time to style it! This classic baseball cap looks youthful and effortless with a ponytail and is ideal for a day at the beach, the park or an afternoon of exploring. I love this simple style by Rag & Bone, which is available at saksfifthavenue.com with 8% cash back.
- Cashmere Wrap Scarf: If you don’t own a cashmere wrap scarf, you need to invest in one ASAP! They’re perfect for traveling, dining out at air-conditioned restaurants (or al fresco scenarios), throwing over any fall outfit or simply cozying up with on the couch at night. So chic, functional and timeless, you can never go wrong with this versatile accessory. This version is available at Bluefly with 8% cash back.
- Slip on Sneakers: I reach for my slip on sneakers more than any other shoes in my closet. They’re casual yet polished, incredibly comfortable and perfect for my on-the-go lifestyle as a busy mom of four kids! I style them with jeans, shorts, cargo pants and my favorite cropped trousers on any road trip. This pair by Michael Kors is available at Neiman Marcus with 6% cash back.
Road trip style is all about comfort, function and ease. However, you definitely don’t have to sacrifice style along the way. Be sure to select pieces that are versatile, simple and have clean lines so you can easily create a variety of different looks while still feeling polished and pulled together.
Kate Dunphy is the author of Taffeta & Tulips, a lifestyle and fashion blog created to inspire and elevate the every day through timeless and approachable fashion choices, healthy and easy recipes, and creative and simple ways to improve your living space.