When it comes to finding the perfect clothes, we all have our problem areas. But when it comes to plus sizes, it can be even harder to find the latest fashion trends. To help, we’ve put together five tips that will lead you to the best stores with trendy, fashionable plus size clothes!
1. Don’t underestimate sizes –Be true to your size. For instance, wearing clothes that are too big can actually make you look larger. Don’t be afraid to purchase clothes that might be more form fitting than you are used to! You would be surprised as to how many stores have styles that can fit your body type.
2. Invest in fashion staples – I’m sure you’ve heard someone say “everyone woman must have a little black dress!” and guess what – they’re right! There are few items that you MUST invest in, in order for you to build and sustain a wardrobe, no matter what size! Why? These pieces are timeless and seasonless, meaning that no matter the time of the year or whatever trend is hot, you can easily take your key item and update your wardrobe with accents rather than buying a whole new wardrobe each season. Every woman must have an amazing button up blouse, pair of tailored trousers, at least two pairs of butt hugging boot cut jeans (dark wash), the curve loving LBD (Little Black Dress), and a professional pant or skirt suit.
3. Forget the rules – When it comes to fashion and shopping for your body type, you have to forget the age-old fashion rules. Yes, you can wear horizontal stripes. Yes, you can incorporate pops of color. Yes, you can wear skinny jeans. It’s all about finding the right cut and style for your body – and complementing that article of clothing or accessory with something that either hides troublesome areas or draws attention to your best assets. Jeans, boots and a sweater is a classic style that looks good on everyone – you just need to find the right pieces of clothing for you!
4. Accessorize to give your outfit a pop of color or fun – You only look as good as you feel, right? Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize! Accessories can make or break an outfit, so make sure you treat yourself to some colorful, fun accessories this season – scarves and booties are must haves for the fall!
5. Emphasize your assets – Have you got a favorite part of your body that you want to show off? Pinpoint exactly what it is that you’re proud of and want to emphasize, then start looking for pieces of clothing that show it off!
Now that you’re armed with advice, where do you shop? Well, the great news is that many retailers now have a wide variety of plus size offerings ranging from conservative to cutting edge fashion. Here are some of our favorites: Nordstrom, Macy’s, Lord and Taylor, ASOS, Saks, Lane Bryant, ModCloth, & ELOQUII.
Got your own tips you’d like to share? Please let us know in the comments.