I find it so much easier to buy for men than women because most men are pretty easy to please – think food and TV, and you’re halfway there. The great thing about shopping for men’s wardrobe essentials is that, regardless of body type, profession or personal preference, there are several timeless staples that look good on every guy (whether he knows it or not, that’s where you come in to do the convincing).
Whenever I’m buying for my husband, I automatically think about function and style. Will he wear this a lot? Will he be comfortable? And most importantly, will it look good on him? That’s why I advise sticking to classic pieces that will suit every budget and lifestyle.
Even better, Splender is offering its members double cash back at all stores until January 31, so now is the perfect time to take inventory of your (or your man’s) closet and stock up on all these men’s wardrobe essentials. Get rid of that t-shirt from 1999 and the flip flops that are falling apart – it’s time to give that wardrobe a much needed refresher!
I’m here to break it down for you by listing the top five wardrobe essentials for any man.
- Leather Jacket: It doesn’t get any more timeless than a leather jacket. Think Indiana Jones, Tom Cruise in Top Gun or even The Fonz. They all had different styles, but that leather jacket upped their cool factor in a major way. Whether paired with jeans or pants, a simple leather jacket is universally flattering and will never go out of style. This neutral brown jacket goes well with anything, and Splender members get 3% cash back when they purchase it at Nordstrom. Or try this Claiborne Faux Leather Jacket for a more affordable option at JCPenney, with 12% cash back for Splender members.
- Ray-Ban Aviators: Does anyone look bad in aviators? It’s not possible. These classic Ray-Bans are well worth the investment. Plus, Splender members get 6% cash back when they purchase these sunglasses at Macy’s. If you’re looking for a more affordable pair, check out these aviators at Express, where Splender members get 5% cash back.
- Quality Tie: A good tie can make or break a look since it’s such a main focal point. It’s the first thing I notice if a man is in a suit (by the way, get a quality suit, too. I love the collection at Brooks Brothers where Splender members get 7% cash back). This tie from Ermenegildo Zegna is a clean, classic pattern, and the blue tones would pair beautifully with a navy or gray suit. It’s available at Barneys New York, where Splender members get 5% cash back. For those on a budget, this Marc Anthony plaid tie is a great option. Shop for it at Kohl’s, with 5% cash back for Splender members.
- Driving Loafer: A classic driving loafer pairs perfectly with jeans, pants and even shorts. It’s great for any season or age, and a no-brainer weekend look. This pair from Andrew Marc is currently on sale at Neiman Marcus, where Splender members get 8% cash back. Shoebuy.com offers this more affordable Born Sawyer loafer with 12% cash back for Splender members.
- Classic Jeans: I’m really picky when it comes to jeans for myself or my husband – they have to be just the right wash and fit. After all, a favorite pair of jeans will be on heavy rotation throughout the year, so you want to make sure you are happy with your purchase. I love the selection at Banana Republic because it offers a plethora of styles that won’t break the bank. This particular pair has a great straight leg and vintage wash. Splender members also get 4% cash back when they buy these jeans at Banana Republic. While these jeans are a pretty good deal, you can save even more with these Original 1969 straight fit jeans at Gap.com with 4% cash back.
And there you have it – the five men’s wardrobe essentials that will stand the test of time. As I advise my own family and friends, make sure you take stock of what’s in your closet before you start shopping. Sort your clothes by things you always wear, things you never wear (and therefore you should donate) and things you still wear on special occasions. Once you can visualize what you need, it makes the shopping process that much smoother.
Ready to start shopping these classic styles? Sign up for Splender today and take advantage of double cash back before it expires January 31.
Kate Dunphy is the author of Taffeta & Tulips (http://taffetaandtulips.com), a lifestyle and fashion blog created to inspire and elevate the every day through timeless and approachable fashion choices, healthy and easy recipes and creative and simple ways to improve your living space.