Once the temps take a major dip and you’ve survived the holiday madness, it’s time to start thinking about heading south, thawing off and basking in the sun.
One way to escape the chill is to book a winter cruise to a tropical locale! Lucky for you, Splender has several travel sites such as Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz and CruiseDirect which offer amazing packages at discounted prices (so what are you waiting for – book that trip you’ve always dreamed of, and earn some cash back along the way!).
Now that you’ve got the easy part covered, I’m here to help you figure out what to pack. Figuring out cruise fashion can be a daunting experience, so choosing pieces that are versatile, functional and stylish are the key to getting those bags packed and jetting off to a tropical paradise in no time flat.
- Panama Hat: Once summer rolls around, I rarely leave the house without a trusty straw hat like this Rag & Bone Panama hat. Aside from camouflaging a bad hair day, it protects your face from sun damage while still managing to look timelessly chic, even on a winter cruise. (Available at Saks Fifth Avenue with 12% cash back.)
- Scalloped One Piece Swimsuit: Every woman should own a well-constructed black one-piece swimsuit. It’s universally flattering, feminine and sophisticated. Well worth the investment! (Available at Matchesfashion.com with 7% cash back.)
- Denim Shorts: When it comes to cruise clothing, denim shorts are so easy and effortless. Plus, you can style them a million ways to coordinate with your daily activities, whether that’s a hike at the port-of-call or lounging on the deck. My favorite brands are J. Crew and Rag & Bone. (Available at J.Crew with 12% cash back.)
- Tory Burch Sandals: I love these waterproof black patent sandals from Tory Burch. You can wear them to the beach or paired with a breezy sundress for a casual dinner. They’re also incredibly comfortable! (Available at Tory Burch with 6% cash back.)
- Coach Sunglasses: Another item I would never cruise without are over-sized sunglasses. They cover up a multitude of sins, and they instantly elevate any ensemble. (Available at Sunglass Hut with 8% cash back.)
- Supergoop Sunscreen: This sunscreen is a favorite of mine because it doesn’t leave you with a chalky residue or that dreaded sticky feeling. It glides on so easily and moisturizes your skin to boot while protecting you from the tropical sun. (Available at Sephora with 10% cash back.)
- Frederic Fekkai Beach Waves Spray: I don’t know about you, but the last thing I want to do on a cruise is fuss with my hair. So, instead of fighting my naturally wavy texture, I embrace it with this amazing smelling beachy waves spray. Just wash and spritz, and you’re good to go. (Available at Lord & Taylor with 10% cash back.)
- Calvin Klein Pareo: I love pieces that can multi-task, and this pareo is the perfect example. I can use it as a wrap on the plane or for chilly evenings out at dinner, as well as a cover-up for beach days. (Available at Macy’s with 6% cash back.)
- Wood Cuff: Confession – I’m not a big jewelry person, but I do love a chunky wood bracelet or necklace. This cuff would pair nicely with a crisp white dress or romper during a formal cruise dinner. (Available at Saks Fifth Avenue with 12% cash back.)
- Fresh Tinted Lip Balm: I’m a self-proclaimed lip balm addict, so I always keep a supply stashed in all my bags. This tinted version from Fresh is a favorite because I love a hint of color and the built-in SPF, which is key for protecting sensitive lips in the brutal tropical sun. (Available at Sephora with 10% cash back.)
- Palm Tree Print Bag: A roomy tote is essential as a carry-on for your flight and as a piece that can double as your pool/beach bag. I prefer a bag large enough to fit my phone, wallet, magazines, water bottle and cosmetic case. (Available at Athleta with 4% cash back.)
- Raffia Clutch: How cute is this raffia clutch for a fun night out on the town…er, ship? It comes in two colors, coral and natural, and I can’t decide which one I like best! (Available at Bloomingdale’s with 9% cash back.)
- Tarte Bronzer: I’m a huge fan of Tarte, and this bronzer is one of my favorites in the cosmetics line. It gives you a natural faux glow without making you look orange or cakey – a tough accomplishment. Stow this in your luggage to look like you spent all day basking in the sun without worrying about harmful UV rays! (Available at Ulta with 6% cash back.)
- Bobbi Brown Beach Spray: This perfume smells like paradise in a bottle (I also love the body lotion). Even when you return home to frigid temps, it’ll bring you right back to the days of your Caribbean cruise. (Available at Nordstrom with 5% cash back.)
- Dolce & Gabbana Nail Polish: I love a bright, bold hue for warmer climates, and a shade of blue that almost matches the seas is the ideal color for a tropical vacay. (Available at Saks Fifth Avenue with 12% cash back.)
- Cynthia Vincent Romper: A romper is a no-brainer when you’re packing for a cruise. I love the fact that it’s one piece, so whether you wear it as a cover-up for the beach, paired with sandals for day or with wedges for night, you can always find an easy and chic way to make it work. (Available at Bloomingdale’s with 9% cash back.)
- Tory Burch Cork Wedges: Speaking of wedges, these cork wedges from Tory Burch are the ideal summer temperature staple. You can style them with shorts, a romper, your favorite sundress or cropped jeans. Plus, I love the neutral shade. The possibilities are endless! (Available at Tory Burch with 6% cash back.)
While packing effortless pieces and fun accessories are a cruise vacation necessity, the easiest way to feel your best is by taking care of yourself. So, opt for salads over fries, hop on the treadmill while you’re catching up on “Quantico,” get plenty of ZZZs, and by all means…please do not skimp on the sunscreen! (Leathery skin is never chic.)
Sign up for Splender to take advantage of our extra cash back offers through December 31. Happy travels!
Kate Dunphy is the author of Taffeta & Tulips, a lifestyle and fashion blog created to inspire and elevate the every day through timeless and approachable fashion choices, healthy and easy recipes, and creative and simple ways to improve your living space.